|Progress on the SP 5199 in Part 2...|
|Bolster hole drilled, tapped, and screw installed.|
Body WorkAt this point I move to working on the main one-piece resin body of the RPO. I cut out the windows and then cleaned the edges of the doors and windows.
I also sat down with the photos of the 69-BP-30-3s that I am using for reference and marked the centerlines for the roof vents and drip rails over the doors.
I used some of the styrene strip provided in the kit to fashion the drip rails on the roof, above each door. ACC glue was used to mount the drip rails.
The flashing on the doors were cleaned up and the doors are installed. Car must be taken as the thin flash extends over the window openings. I use a fresh No.11 Xacto blade to remove the window flashing. I then went back around each pane and carefully shaved down the battens until I couldn't see any more flashing around the edge. Notice the door handles on the doors... this will show which door goes on which side of the car.
|Doors, drip rails, and mail catcher arm installed.|
|Catcher Arm in the lowered position.|
|Catcher arm, pivoted up to catch a mail bag|
If you'd like to learn more about how the RPOs work, here's a link to my RPO page.
Well the main body's coming along nicely now. I drilled out the grab iron holes with a No.76 drill.
I installed the windows next. The SC&F cars have laser etched windows. The masking is laser cut to provide masking by peeling off the mask from the window frames, but leaving the center window panes covered.
|SC&F laser kit windows, the one on the left has been filed to fit properly in the body|
|Installing laser cut windows.|
|Windows installed and ready for paint.|
|Roof vents and shaped hole.|
|Overview of all but the last two vents on the right side (forward end) installed.|
Little Change of Era....On further examining through the car photos and information of the 5197-5199-series cars. The cars are fitted with upgraded baggage facilities, in comparing floor plans and other photos it seems that cars so upgraded had the right side forward baggage window plugged for the desk and stove to be installed. There's some question as to when these cars were upgraded, but some pictures show cars in 1952 with upgraded facilities.
|Styrene plug dry fitted to a press fit and then glued.|
|The plug fitted and glued in.|
|Rough milling of end relief for diaphragm|
|Milling edges cleaned up and bellows fitted.|
The rest of the assembling of the diaphragms will come later after finish painting.
Back to the UnderbodyThe next steps will be back to the under frame. I drilled holes in the frame to route the plumbing for the brake systems. I should have done this before mounting the brake components.
|Plumbing laid out|
|Stirups installed. Notice the interfering parts of the stirups in the step of the underframe.|
I file notches in the bottom sill of the floor casting for the brass stirup etchings to fit through. The etchings do protrude into the shelf which fits into the body.
|Filed notches for stirups.|
To regain the proper fit with the body, and not forcing the sides outward, notches are filed into the back of the body where each leg is hitting the side.
That does it for Part 2 on this post. Stay tuned for Building SP 5199 (Part 3)!