Saturday, May 15, 2021

Kitbashing OwlMtModels (Part 4) F-50-Series Decks

In previous posts, I've done some experimenting with different levels of deck weathering and painting effects.  If you want to watch this blog post's main content, jump ahead to the video link below!


For those that want the quick read version, continue here.

SPMW 3605 - Broken Boards? - Ouch!


SPMW 3605, my second MW car built with an OMM flatcar.

SPMW 3605 was the first that I started cutting boards out of and then in one section I just roughed the plastic surface up with my carbide scribe and X-Acto saws.

PE 3669 - Adding Some Texture


Deck of the new PE 3669.

On the PE 3669, I decided I wanted a deck with some rough spots, but not completely falling apart like the SPMW 3605.

Generally the PE 3669 deck weathering was done with a razor-saw, as I show in the video.  I kept the distressing to a moderate level.

SP 41186 - Upgrading an Existing Deck on a Model


SP 41186's original deck weathering which was only painted on.

I decided to go back and rough up the deck of a finished F-50-5, the SP 41186.

Three-dimensional deck weathering cut into the deck of SP 41186.

Lights, Camera, Action!


I'm going out on a limb to better show the techniques to weather one of these cars by shooting a video.  Hopefully, it will be worth the 50-odd minutes of demonstration.  Some of the video is sped up as I scratch up the deck.


Deck Weathering and Distressing Tools


Tools:


X-Acto/Zona-Saw, carbide, file, paint brushes

The tools for the weathering are pretty basic.  Paper towels are needed as well, for keeping your work area clean and also used to adjust the weathering paint.

Paints: Apple Barrel:


A selection of Apple Barrel paints I like for weathering.

Black and Burnt Umber washes with Pewter Grey.
Then Pewter Grey, Khaki, & Territorial Beige drybrushing to bring out the details and highlights.

In Closing


Six flat cars with various deck weathering techniques together.

Hopefully, the video has shown some new techniques for how I do this weathering.  Maybe you'll try it on one of your flat cars as a incremental project?

2 comments:

  1. Jason, just came across this video on the NMRA Turntable. Very nice work. I also visited your blog and found a number of interesting posts which I will enjoy reading and viewing in the future. Thanks for posting. By the way, if you are interested in being a member of the NMRA, I am the Membership Chair for the San Diego Divison and would happy to talk with you about that. Thanks again for the great clinic.
    Rudy Spano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rudy,
      Sure, happy to talk to you. Send me an email at gmail using the nightowlmodeler handle.
      Jason

      Delete

Please identify yourself at the end of your message. Please keep comments relevant to the post or questions to me directly.
All comments are moderated and must be approved, so give me a bit of time to approve them.
No random solicitation in comments. Spamming and phishing comments will be deleted or not allowed to post.