Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Modeling Accurail R-40-26 PFE 9785 (Part 2) - Minor Modifications

 While I've not done much since Modeling Accurail R-40-26 PFE 9785 (Part 1) - Basic Kitbashing & Assembly, I have decided to make a couple more small changes after looking closer at builders photos that Tony Thompson posted on his blog.  

Updated Accurail R-40-26 Kitbash.

This post is mostly for documentation of the next round of modifications.

Links to Tony Thompson's R-40-26 Photos


I'm posting these photos with direct links to Tony Thompson's blog for direct reference to the changes I'm making on my Accurail R-40-26.

Linked photo of left side from Tony Thompson's Blog on R-40-26s

Of the noticeable issues that I still want to address is that the notch under the right end of the lower door track actually extends under the door track.  Another is that the generator and mounting plate next to the circulating fan on the left side (A-End) of the car is only on the left side.

Linked photo right side from Tony Thompson's Blog on R-40-26s.

The right side of the car has no plate, and the notch extends all the way to the bolster.  There are also no gussets under the lower door track, which the Accurail car has.  I'm afraid removing them will make me start repainting a noticeable amount of the carside, which I don't want to do.  Lastly, and I don't know if I want to address any of these final notes, there are a pair of door stops and the large tack boards are located in a different position than on the Accurail model.


Additional Sidesill Notching


Marked notch for under door guide

Again, I'm marking the sections of sidesill to remove with a Sharpie marker.

Marked removing the B-end bolster notch which doesn't have the extra plate.

B-End bolster has full notches, so originally I only notched the sides based on the left side prototype photo.  Now that I've seen the prototype of the right side, I know that I need to remove a little more.

After cutting out the additional notches.

After completing the additional notching of the sidesills.

Removing Poling Pockets



Before the additional notches are cut and the poling pockets are removed.

It turns out that the R-40-26s were built after the end of poling pockets, so these cars shouldn't even have them.

After notch and poling pocket removed.

It turns out the poling pockets were very easy to remove with my P-B-L sprue cutters in one precise cut.

In Closing


Let's have a quick overview of how the Accurail model looks after the most recent minor modifications.

Right side of PFE 9785 after latest modifications

I may use a very sharpened Prisma Pencil to highlight the edges of the plug doors.

Left side of PFE 9785 after latest modifications

The next steps will be to work on the stirrups and get them ready to install.  I'll also need to do some center-of-gravity tests to see if the "core" in the body is adversely effecting the car's balance.  I may need to add some additional weight to the car's centersill around the brake details.

Jason Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please identify yourself at the end of your message. Please keep comments relevant to the post or questions to me directly.
All comments are moderated and must be approved, so give me a bit of time to approve them.
No random solicitation in comments. Spamming and phishing comments will be deleted or not allowed to post.