Sunday, December 31, 2023

Happy New Year 2024, Highlights of Modeling in 2023

 
Minor photoshopped picture from January 2018 LMRC 'Winter on Tehachapi' TT/TO session.

I want some of my favorite articles of 2023, and those articles which you all voted for by viewing the most.

Most Viewed in 2023


1st Place with 435 Views

Open Loads (Part 7) - Shifted Lumber Loads - This article heralded the introduction of the new OwlMtModels Modular Lumber Loads in October.

2nd Place with 429 Views

Routing & Grading Cards with OwlMtModels 1220 Decals - The kitbash of this Fowler boxcar was also one of my personal modeling highlights for 2023 as well as 2nd place in Views.  Because this model was over a year waiting for decals and finishing the model, it received multiple posts of the build, so in some ways this project should be one of the highest views.  I think the finished model matches up with the prototype photograph well.  

3rd Place with 372 Views

Lumber Load in Gondola - SP 160522 - MDC Kitbash - This has been a fun project which keeps giving.  I started the kitbash about 20 years ago, but 2023 brought a custom load for this car... with a twist.


4th Place with 348 Views

Chalk Marks - A New Method - This article was fun to break my skill set and try a new method to make chalk marks. - I expect to do an update on this topic soon, as I found some other ways to change the end result!

5th Place with 301 Views

SP Jawbone Branch (Part 39) - A Ferro-Equestrian Archaeology Field Trip - This was also one of my personal highlights for 2023, as it was a trip that I've wanted to do for several years.  It also kicked me into working more on the structures for Owenyo and by extension the Jawbone Branch project.

My Favorites of 2023

Personal 1st Place

Routing & Grading Cards with OwlMtModels 1220 Decals  The kitbash of this Fowler boxcar was also one of my personal modeling highlights for 2023 as well as 2nd place in Views.I think the finished model matches up with the prototype photograph well.

NC&StL 15337 - Fowler -TRRA photo, East St Louis, July 1948, Illinois, Joe Collias coll, Bobs Photo - Ted Culotta collection

Because this model was in the shop for over a year waiting for decals and finishing the model, it received multiple posts of the build, so in some ways this project should be one of the highest views. I actually started mocking the car up in late 2019! 


NC&StL 15337 (Part 3) - Wrapping Up & Weathering - Other articles on this Accurail 36ft Fowler kitbash are linked at the end of Part 3 article.


I enjoyed going to Portland this year to see all the RPM crew up in the Pacific Northwest.


October 2023 was crazy for me, wrapping up the month in Bakersfield and reconnecting with old friends for the first time since my last visit to SPHTS Conventions in 2018.

What's Next on the Line-Up for 2024?


Admittedly I'm focusing most of my modeling on aspects of the Jawbone Branch project... so that will be a main focus for the upcoming year of projects and posts.

Jawbone Branch - Owenyo Modules to Sparks/Reno Convention?
SP 3203 at Owenyo with UP steel-sheathed composite gondola. Eddie Sims collection

I'm hoping to get to work more on the Jawbone Branch in 2024, specifically focusing more on the scenery, track work, and structures at Owenyo, with the possible goal of having the three modules with some 'whisker' leads able to be displayed at the upcoming SPH&TS Convention in Reno/Sparks, October 2024.  It would be great fun to play with some switching (think Operations Road-Show style) with friends at the convention.

Owenyo Buildings

If I really plan to take the Owenyo modules as a working layout to Sparks Reno... then I'm going to be pushing to get some of the big signature structures built.  Wiring will have to be moved up the priority list to get the layout working.  I'm also looking at making some new switch point bars and moving the ground throws over for more track clearances... and some basic scenery, which I've only done some testing of painting the ties so far.

UP GS Gondola
UP Steel Gondola - Owenyo Trestle - SG side - unknown calender photo, circa 1951 - Ronald Grau collection (cropped to show only foreign gondolas)

A linked project is the foreign GS gondolas showing up at Owenyo for mineral loading, so a project already in the works is my heavy kitbash of the UP ex-composite GS gondola.  So I hope to get this model wrapped up this year.  Previous posts on this model are: UP Steel Re-sheath Gondola (Part 1) and Modeling UP Gondola (Part 2) - Re-sanding & Painting.

SP B-50-28 Post-war Boxcar
The first Tangent B-50-28 that I picked up to review, which will probably get a renumber soon!

Another linked modeling project will by my hope to be doing some more modeling with the Tangent B-50-28s for Owenyo, along with some weathering on a nearly new car.

In Closing


I want to close this post with a thank you to all of you out there in the community who are supporting the NightOwlModeler blog and engage in communications to help the community grow.  As for other future posts, I'm sure that other topics and surprise topics will come up in 2024 and I'll write on those.

Jason Hill

Related Articles:

New Year 2019

1 comment:

  1. Jason-a great review of a busy year. I look forward to more!
    -Jay Styron

    ReplyDelete

Please identify yourself at the end of your message. Please keep comments relevant to the post or questions to me directly.
All comments are moderated and must be approved, so give me a bit of time to approve them.
No random solicitation in comments. Spamming and phishing comments will be deleted or not allowed to post.